Thursday, February 9, 2012

Goodbye to Vitality in Action

The time has come for me to say goodbye to all of the wonderful people at the Vitality in Action Foundation. It has been such a pleasure to work with everyone involved in this foundation. I have learned so much about the value of Vitality in Action and their mission to help members of the community with mobility impairments to live a more vital life through recreational activities. I am walking away from this internship with many memories, but my fondest memory is from the Vitality Fair.


My first month at Vitality I was able to be involved with planning the Vitality Fair. The Vitality Fair was the first event for Vitality in Action. This event was an ice show that debuted to the community what Vitality does for individuals with mobility impairments. It also included a performance by Olympic Ice Dancer Shae Lynn Bourne. I learned just how hard it is to plan and put on such an event. It takes many long hours and teamwork with colleagues to put on an event and to get people to come to the event. Once all the hard work and planning was over, it was time to sit back and enjoy the show. Watching the founder of Vitality in Action, Rusty Stout, a below the knee amputee, skate on the ice with a World Champion and Olympic Ice Dancer, Shae Lynn Bourne was truly inspiring. He never complained or said he could not do something during the demonstrations. He was out on the ice the entire time with the biggest smile on his face. Whenever I begin to make excuses and say I cannot do something, I think of Rusty ice skating with his prosthetic leg and use it to push me forward. This internship not only gave me faith in myself and taught me to let go of all excuses but also renewed my faith in the community. When people can come together and help one another, amazing things can happen.


I have met so many wonderful people working with the Vitality in Action Foundation and have made many great memories. It makes me sad to say goodbye for now to all of these people but I know my time with Vitality is not over. I want to thank Anjali Arnold, Rusty Stout and Zachariah Falconer Stout for the opportunity to work for such a great foundation. I hope to be involved with this foundation in the future and can’t wait to see the amazing things that come from this foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment